Welcome to information and discussion around the Empty Field Dharma. The concept of an Empty Field is derived from Zen Master Hongzhi from the book “Cultivating the Empty Field” and the Soto Zen school of Buddhism.
What is an empty field? Where do they come from?
In short, we are each born with a field, and through reincarnation, we begin with the same field. It is like a chessboard, for this is the life we lead. An empty field has been cultivated through mindfulness, silent illumination, and turning within to find our-self and the universe, the source.
The following are books, websites, and meditation center resources.
- “Cultivating the Empty Field”, The Silent Illumination of Zen Master Hongzhi
- “The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma: Volume 1”, The Path of Individual Liberation
- “The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma: Volume 2”, The Bodhisattva Path of Wisdom and Compassion
- “The Flower Ornament Scripture: A Translation of the Avatamsaka Sutra”
- “Visions of Awakening Space and Time: Dogen and the Lotus Sutra”
- “The Lankavatara Sutra”
- “The Blue Cliff Record”
- “Zen Questions”
- “Moon in a Dewdrop”
- Minnesota Zen Center
- Clouds in Water Zen Center
- Spirit Rock
- Institute for Buddhist Studies
- Lion’s Roar