On 10-FEB-2018, Icelandic musician and film score composer Jóhann Jóhannsson passed away at the young age of 48. Words are still failing to describe the atmospheres his music created and the depths in which I would be lost within them. I was able to attend two concerts that came through MN over the years and must now be content with their lasting impressions.
- 6/30/2009 at the Southern Theatre
- 5/8/2010 at The Cedar
Of the 15 albums and musical scores I have had the privilege of listening to, these are my favorites and ones that provide inspiration when writing or putting an end to the day.
- And in the Endless Pause There Came the Sound of Bees
- The Theory of Everything
More information and complete music catalog is on the official website at: http://www.johannjohannsson.com
Some recent music, delving into new music and artists, as well as favorites, including a release by Hildur Gudnadottir, one of my favorite Icelandic musicians.
- Seven Lions – Worlds Apart (2014)
- Seven Lions – The Throes of Winter (2015)
- Celldweller – End of an Empire (Chapter 03: Dreams) (2015)
- Celldweller – Transmissions: Volume 01 (2014)
- Porter Robinson – Worlds (2014)
- Hildur Gudnadottir – Saman (2014)
- Shigeto – No Better Time Than Now (2013)
- Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, Robin Guthrie – Winter Garden (2011)
- Animattronic – Pirates of the Galaxy (2015)
It’s been some time since I wrote about music, and anything new I have picked up. Music is one thing I look forward to and helps me get through work, writing, and life. On a typical day, I am plugged in for about 10-hours of non-stop music. I go through trends and try and be open minded, but at my core I have a weakness for Icelandic, neo-classical (violin, cello, piano, mixed with electronic), and electronic/dub-step/dance.
In no particular order, this what I have picked up the past couple of months.
- Alva Noto – Xerrox, Vol 2 (2008)
- Alexander Popov – Personal Way (2013)
- Dog Blood – Middle Finger, Pt. 2 (ft. Skrillex) (2013)
- Boys Noize – Out of the Black (2012)
- Agent Fresco – A Long Time Listening (2012)
- Johann Johannsson – Virthulegu Forsetar (2003)
- Zoe Keating – Into the Trees (2010)
- Zoe Keating – One Cello x 16: Natoma (2005)
- Halou – Halou (2008)
- Zero 7 – When it Falls (2004)
- Datsik – Vitamin D (2012)
- Datsik – Let it Burn (2013)
- Datsik – Cold Blooded (2013)
- Bassnectar – Vava Voom (2012)
Today is brought to you by Mystical Sun, a soundscape of ambient and electronica. Providing a backdrop for pondering, writing, or just getting lost.
In celebration of this being my 100th post on this website, and as a follow-up to a previous post and comments about music, here is a list of music I listen to while writing.
- Olafur Arnalds
- Johann Johannsson
- Hildur Gudnadottir
- Valgeir Sigurdsson
- Late Night Alumni
- Alva Noto
- Ryuichi Sakamoto
- The Chemical Brothers
- The Glitch Mob
- Nils Frahm
- Rachel Grimes
- Richard Skelton
- Skylar Grey
- Startle the Heavens
- Stephan Mathieu
- Taylor Deupree
- A Winged Victory for the Sullen