I am an old-school programmer whose job does not require development anymore. Still, I have a few websites, and am interested in new technologies and methodologies. With a database background and most days filled with ad-hoc query requests, reports, and integration between multiple systems, building a front-end users would save me and them a lot of time.
With a preference toward Microsoft technologies I have settled on the following development environment and have started with these resources.
- Windows 7 Pro
- Visual Studio 2013 Premium
- Microsoft WebMatrix 3
- Local SQL databases for initial learning and development
- Windows Azure and SQL 2014 for testing and deployment
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014: Query Tuning and Optimization
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database: Step by Step
- Introduction Microsoft SQL Server 2014: Technical Overview
This website has provided a great overview of C#, CSS, HTML5, Razor and connecting to databases.